Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Resolutions

I'm not generally a big fan of New Year's Resolutions, mostly because I understand human nature, and I've been in gyms in January and also in April.  I'm a firm believer that in order to successfully get someone to do something, you have to make it as easy as possible for them, and you have to make sure they get something out of it that they want.  I don't believe in guilt or shame.
So it's surprising to me that I've gone ahead and made two of them myself for 2011, because neither of these is easy, and the returns on one of them is questionable.  And I'm writing about it so that I've "put it out there" to make it more substantial.  We'll see how it goes...

#1 - Get back to my most healthy weight and fitness level.
At the beginning of October I started going to my employer's sponsored "boot camp" fitness classes twice a week, and yoga on Fridays.  I am MUCH stronger and feel better and am sleeping better since I began, but so far there's been no weight loss.  Therefore, as the new session began this week, I determined to be more conscientious of what I'm eating and be more mindful of my drinking, because I think I've been too lazy in this area.  I really, really don't want to become one of those people who turns into a fat, out-of-shape blob as they age, and I know now how easy it would be for it to happen to me.  All I have to do is stop paying attention.  I'm a master at rationalization, so making excuses is no problem.  Inertia will do the rest.
Ideally, I'd like to shed 15-20 lbs.

#2 - Date
I haven't gone out with anyone in over ten months.  I've been busy, I'm a full-time single mom, and the people I meet are all at work.  Like with the exercise, it's been easier to just stay in my comfortable little rut, ignoring that whole part of myself.  In the meantime, I watch myself getting older and I miss feeling the way that a man who is interested in me can make me feel.  The tipping point for me this time around was a guy at work telling me that he wanted to have an affair with me.  A married guy, and he was serious.
I don't think he realizes what he is offering me - or rather, how little.  That kind of thing is just table scraps, not a seat at the table.  I'm hungry, but not so much that I am willing to give up my self respect.  This doesn't even factor in how foolish it would be to jeopardize my job, or how stupid it would be to try to explain it to anyone I know; I'd have to keep it a secret, and I have no room in my life for that kind of shenanigans.
So, I asked my friend who's a "serial dater" to recommend a site, and he told me about one that he uses, and I put myself out there. 
So far, I've heard from a number of men I'd never consider, and a couple of interesting prospects.
And I have a great babysitter now, so there is hope.  We'll see how it goes.
I am going to my company party solo, however. 

By the Summer Solstice, I'm hoping to be svelt, fit, and much more "social."  I plan on going into 50 kicking, if not screaming.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be cheering you on!!!!!

    (hopefully all that cheering will help me drop a good 20lbs!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I hope you get to where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete