Saturday, February 5, 2011

What’s in a name?

This Internet Dating thing is bringing some things to my attention that I’d probably rather not be aware of. One of them is how many men (women too, I imagine, but I’m not corresponding with them) represent themselves in ways that probably aren’t to their advantage.

I’m keeping my selection criteria limited to local guys between 45 and 55 years old. I know there that age affects different people in varying ways, but some of the guys that claim to be in this range seem to be... old. Like in more like my dad than the friends I know who are my age. Either that or the years have not been kind, and I want someone whose abilities and outlook match my own. I’ve got decades before I’m ready to get excited about Early Bird Specials and retirement communities. And quite a few of them should have someone help them with their photos and/or their profile narratives. The usernames are something else. I don’t know how other women feel about this, but I’m not enthusiastic about hearing from a guy who calls himself _Hot_, Mr Feelgood, or Easygoing. They sound like candy bars.

So, I was pleased to talk on the phone to Bob (yet another Bob) this afternoon. He’s my age, and he looks like he’s still got some life in him. He’s a dad, has a daughter at CU, and has a job similar to mine. He sounded upbeat and normal. I’d really like to date someone upbeat and normal. That would be nice. It’s been a really long time since I spent time with a man who liked the same kinds of things that I do and was pleasant to be around. He said he wants to meet me, and so we’ll see.

The thing is, I’m used to being on my own. I’m so used to it that I don’t know how good I am at making room for someone else. I accommodate myself for my daughter so much that I’m jealous of any spare moments I have to myself. I wonder what kind of dance partner I would make to someone these days.

Sooner or later, I may get the chance to find out.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you find someone who is worth sharing your precious free time with! :) I'd go for Mr. Feelgood, but that' just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you good luck. The weeding out process sounds quite tedious to me. I think I would be leery of those with the questionable usernames too. Keeping my fingers crossed that you find someone who is, not only upbeat and normal, but who will also make a good dance partner for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. when the right one comes along, things will fall into place.
    In the meantime, thank you for taking us along for the journey.
    So what does Mr. Feelgood look like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, do you know that Sandals is advertising on your page? I hope they're taking care of you!

    ReplyDelete