Friday, March 26, 2010

One Two Three Four Five Six!

Six years ago today, I was in the hospital having surgery. My granola dreams of having a water birth were thwarted by my baby’s insistence on remaining upright. She has been consistently strong-willed ever since.

She was born with a “stork bite” on her nose, upper lip, and back of the neck, but miraculously, these have faded on their own over time. She has been a healthy, happy baby all these years. I am truly blessed.



In the immortal words of Dirty Harry, “A man’s gotta know his limitations.”

I have successfully avoided having hoards of screaming children in my home for the past 5 birthdays, courtesy of my daughter’s amazing preschool, who allowed me to give her parties there.

Now that M is in kindergarten, things are very different. Tomorrow’s birthday party extravaganza will be at our local Jungle Quest! The school has some strict rules (that I am in agreement with) that made it a little more challenging to get the invitations out. Not being able to see a roster, plus the unreliable nature of the information you can glean from a five year old, I don’t know the names of all of the kids we’ve invited. But I managed by hovering just outside the classroom and handing an invitation to each little girl as she exited the school. It broke my heart to see the boys look at me with confusion and sadness that they weren’t included, but at $16 bucks a pop, we could only invite the girls.
It is sad how fallen-by-the-wayside things like RSVPing have become. Just saying.
I am almost as excited as my daughter at the idea of a bunch of little kids zip-lining across the room tomorrow. I will be doing my best to take lots of pictures.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Cute pictures - M is a beautiful girl. Have fun with the party. I am trying desperately to convince my soon-to-be 7 y.o. to have his party at a gym place or somewhere other than my home this year. I'm so over cleaning like crazy for days only to have a hoard of children stampede through the house on party day and destroy everything in their wake!

    Happy Birthday to your girl, and to you as well, Mama! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That girl does know how to party! (In what I assume is her 4yo bday party.)

    Happy Birthday to her, and make sure to take your own turn on the zip line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so adorable! I quit doing the whole big birthday party thing years ago. Now, we just do cake and ice cream with family. A z ip line birthday party sounds FANTASTIC! M is a very lucky girl to have such a great mom:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bev: Thank you, my darling. I could not be a gracious hostess to a hoard - I would be too tense and disturbed, knowing what was being ground into the carpet. And the noise. good god. No, that is what event centers are made for: to maintain sanity.

    Frank: I WISH! That's the only downside of the plan - they only let the kids on the zip lines. I would be so ON IT, otherwise.

    obmj: We've always done a quiet family gathering, and a separate friends thing. This is the only time I've had to shell out for a "to do" - and next year I hope to go much more low key. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw...I absolutely LOVE the picture with the sunflower hat!! So cute!

    Hope you all have a great time at the party! Sounds like fun. I'm sure M is excited. Happy happy birthday to her! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!! That fourth picture down!!! Oh wait, was she at my house this weekend?
    Happy birthday to your beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete